vendredi 11 juillet 2008

Unveiling the myth: Jacques Fath Iris Gris




When I say I actually own a bottle of the precious and ultra-rare Iris Gris, the question is always the same: is it really that good?

The simple answer is yes. It is. It can walk rings around any iris on the market today.

Now the good news is, it might be reissued. A French perfume company, Parfums Panouge, who also did a reissue of Isabey Gardénia, have recently purchased the licence to manufacture Jacques Fath perfumes.

On the subject, the experts I've consulted are divided: some say that with the new, cheap irises on the market (why did you think iris was the "in" note of 2007?), it shouldn't be too hard. Others think that there is simply no orris butter currently on the market that's good enough to duplicate the wonderful effect of Iris Gris...

To find out how I discovered this priceless gem, and what it smells like, please click on this link to my fellow blogger and friend Helg's The Perfume Shrine, where I originally published my story and breathless review...

You can also go to 1000fragrances, where another fellow blogger and friend, Octavian Sever Coifan, analyses the scent in a much more learned way. He was present at the unsealing!

Please leave your comments here. I'm expecting questions!

Image: A model from the House of Fath, 1954, courtesy of the London Telegraph.

9 commentaires:

  1. What a beautiful review and what a great story! You make me want to go to Paris and take in flea markets over there. I always thought Iris Silver Mist was too cold; an olfactory "exercise de style" on iris more than a perfume I can enjoy but a Persicol peach base to accompany the cold iris sounds so promising to me.

    emmanuella

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I feel the same way about ISM, which means I'm probably not an iris person, since it's the best out there - if anything, I'm more confortable with the way it's played out in N°19 extrait.
    As for the find, I don't do the brocantes very often for lack of time, but that one trip was miraculous!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I never tried No 19 in parfum, maybe I should, in edt concentration it smells too austere for me. I should plan a trip to France this year or next year in the spring just to do antiques shops...and hot frenchmen!

    emmanuella

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. I'm not much of a one for austere fragrances either, but I'm trying to expand my horizons! As for Frenchmen, well, you know, it's all in the way they wind their scarves around their neck... Hm!

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I think No 19 extrait has been discontinued but I 'll look on ebay. I like italians and spanish men better anyways! hehe!

    emmanuella

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. I'm sure N°19 is still produced in extrait, but possibly only in France? I just got some from the Chanel boutique...
    As for Italian and Spanish men, well, don't get me started! Lots of them in my book...

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Here in New York they don 't even sell Rive Gauche at the YSL boutique on 57th St! I went to the new Guerlain spa boutique at the Waldorf Astoria the other day, the whole concept is make-up oriented, nobody knows anything about fragrances and they only had eau de toilette. I asked to smell the new reformulated Mitsouko done by Edouard Flechier, the SA looked at me as if I came from another planet and instead she sprayed my wrists with My Insolence! ...les tribulations d 'une jeune femme chez Guerlain New York! LOL Spanish guys...'Mon Peche Mignon', Oh yes!

    emmanuella

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Ah, quelque jour...

    I dream of Iris Gris.
    Persicol with orris ?
    HOW could I not swoon ?

    Lucky you !
    Treasure it...!

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. It's a brilliant association, to be sure... But now that you have a perfumer friend... Neil M. could play with his vials, couldn't he?

    RépondreSupprimer