jeudi 11 décembre 2008

Baudelaire's "The Perfume Flask", interpreted by Yann Vasnier


On October 30 of this year, a tiny but, in its way, momentous event took place in perfumery : what must surely be the first open-source perfume formula ever was presented on Michelle Krell Kydd’s marvelous fragrance and flavor blog, Glass Petal Smoke.

Michelle asked Yann Vasnier, of Givaudan, for a perfume inspired by Baudelaire’s poem “The Perfume Flask”, from The Flowers of Evil. Vasnier provided her both with the composition and its formula, which she posted on her blog.

Of course, any attempt to reproduce Le Flacon would be stymied by the fact that the materials Yann used are all but inaccessible (ambergris infusion, civet, musk Tonkin infusion)… However, like open-source software, Le Flacon’s formula is available to play around with.

Michelle was kind enough to send me a dram of this über-rare elixir – now that’s exclusive! – and as a long-time worshipper at the altar of Baudelaire, I am quite smitten. Every perfume lover knows – or should know – that the French poet was the first to sing, not only the beauty of perfume, but its intimate links to memory, corruption and artifice with a truly modern sensibility. Violently rejecting the late 18th century’s Rousseauist infatuation with nature, he praised the anti-natural charms of cosmetics and fashion (“In Praise of Cosmetics”, 1863): like poetry, their goal is "to invent an ideal that surpasses Nature”. Fashion, he writes, “should be considered as a symptom of the taste for the ideal which floats on the surface of all the crude, terrestrial and loathsome bric-a-brac that natural life accumulates in the human brain”. Surely perfume was included in this philosophical rehabilitation of artifice – or would have been if Baudelaire had lived in the era of abstract perfumery which opened two decades later with Houbigant Fougère Royale (1882) and Jicky (1889). But by then, he was long dead…

“The Perfume Flask” speaks of “opening old trunks brought home from the Far East”, of “the powdery odors of moments that are dead”; of “old and rancid love, charming and long-interred”; of the “sweet pestilence of my heart”… The old perfume flask is him; the “beloved poison prepared by the angels”, his lover. The poem reeks of the hope for the grave of a tortured love.

I must admit I was expecting some whiff of corruption, but what rises from Le Flacon are the unmistakable, fresh-musty accords of the ghost of chypres past. The acrid smell of the dregs of a dried-up bottle hovers under the fresh rose-galbanum of Miss Dior (the original, not today’s travesty) as though the vintage version, complete with traces of age, were beating on the lid of the top notes to be released. The oddly fresh-fatty smell of Melonal acts like a Roudnitska quotation (shades of Diorama) until the peach-jasmine accord rises to resurrect Mitsouko.

A very subtle smell of vegetal corruption, like the brackish stench of a forgotten flower vase, threads in and out, barely perceptibly, throughout the development, until the scents folds into its animalic base of civet, musk, beeswax and very dominant ambergris.

By the time it subsides, another renegade poet’s song comes to mind: François Villon’s “The Ballad of Dead Ladies” (“Ballade des dames du temps jadis”), a lament on bygone beauties, with its haunting refrain “where are the snows of yesteryear?”.

Where are the chypres of yesteryear? Enclosed in Le Flacon… But with a twist: this isn’t an imitation of old classic fragrances. And though in part a tribute, it is also a reflection on bygone smells as they surge in our memory, even when we don’t really remember them as such, never having encountered them fresh…

Here’s hoping that Michelle and Yann’s groundbreaking endeavor will spawn imitators: to both, bravo.

Image: Portrait of Charles Baudelaire by Félix Nadar

14 commentaires:

  1. My God, I'm swooning. The poetry, the perfume...it all sounds so beautiful. Good to see you back, D.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. It *is* beautiful, Matt. And thanks! I've been a bit overwhelmed by real-life activities (and enjoying my collection of already-reviewed beauties).

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Welcome back, D. What a beautiful post this was. And Le Flacon sounds stunning!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. This was such a cool project, and I loved reading Michelle's article on it. As usual, your thoughts and writing then give me more layers of understanding...and rumination. Wonderful.

    So now I'm thinking Baudelaire (poet praising artifice/artificial)...Benjamin (art as reproduction)...perhaps I'm forcing a connection, but nonetheless, it's a fun little nerdy brainfest for me today.

    I'm sure there will be scent involved, too. :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Scentscelf, you are absolutely entitled to make the Baudelaire/Benjamin connection, as well as the link between the concept of art the latter derived partly from the former, and from there, the leap into thinking about the artistic status of perfume. And now if you'll excuse me, I'll quietly go and have a stroke from all this Sunday thinking...

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. You're such an enabler. ;)

    Methinks I'm going to bury my head in the prosaic existence that is my real life. [sound of laundry, pets, dishes, etcetera...]

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Dear D, you're back, I'm back, phew! I think I owe Scentself a note too. What a lovely post, lots to chew on, I think it's the third time Beaudelaire has come up this week, it must be a sign! I know I have one of those half French half English volumes to help me learn, I'll dig it up for nice Xmas reading. OXOXOXo to you for the Holidays. W

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Scentscelf, I'm afraid coming down from the fragrant empyreum is our common lot!

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Wendy,I can't really say welcome back since you're *still* halfway round the world from me, but virtually, le coeur y est.

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. Jarvis, I missed your comment, sorry! Yes, le Flacon is a beauty and I only wish we weren't just a small handful of people to be able to smell it...

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. Yann Vasnier has always lent his creativity to projects like this that make perfume of poetry and poetic perfume of life. The Dia de Los Muertos fragrance altar installation we did up here in Anchorage at our little gallery wouldn't have happened without him.

    RépondreSupprimer
  12. Yes, Cait, I remember that. It's great that some young perfumers are ready to come out of the lab and experiment... I sense a trend.

    RépondreSupprimer
  13. Oh my, how wonderful, and your description of this unique perfume is just gorgeous, what a great idea!

    (Obviously I don't visit either your site or Glass Petal Smoke nearly enough, I will try to do better!)

    RépondreSupprimer