dimanche 20 décembre 2009

My perfume course at the London College of Fashion: the (very partial) de-brief



The fifteen students of my intensive course for the London College of Fashion, “Decoding Fragrance”, had a single point in common: their love of perfume. Other than that, the sheer diversity was bewildering.


They came from all over the world: the UK, obviously, but also France, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Germany, Jordan, Belgium, Spain by way of the Netherlands or Brazil by way of South Africa… Their level ranged from hardcore perfume aficionados to people taking their first steps in the world of fragrance. They worked in finance, communication, marketing, perfumery and the media; there was a Pilates instructor, a nurse, an architect, an artist, a few students. Their ages ranged from 20 to 55, and a few of them had travelled thousands of miles to attend the course.


Daunting doesn’t even begin to cover it. I was delighted to have people of such varied origins since their range of olfactory references would be extremely diverse. But to engage so many different levels and ages seemed like quite a challenge… until I realized or rather, until my students made me realize that at any level, smells can speak to you, and with a bit of vocabulary provided, you can speak about smells.


Vocabulary was exactly where I started out. The first day was dedicated to the words of perfume: not only the verbal ones, but also “smell-words”, the raw materials being nouns with a trail of adjectives, their facets. We “blind-smelled” real things to activate the link between smells, memories and words; we linked those real things to materials that smell of them. We created olfactory illusions with two or three materials; we “decomposed” jasmine into its most salient molecules. Then we linked materials together by their common facets in an olfactory daisy chain that provided the first notions of the syntax perfumers use to organize their smell-words. Finally, we explored an array of perfumes in which we could find bits of the daisy chain.


The second day was also about words, but this time the words were stories and history. Rather than zip through over a century of perfume history, I’d decided to focus on the decades when most templates were conceived, the 10s and 20s, and on a parallel between François Coty and Jacques Guerlain, as well as a case study of Chanel N°5. To help the students envision the context in which those great classics were composed and worn, I also provided elements of the social, sartorial and artistic trends of the time. In our last exercise, we studied the fruity chypre across the decades, from its birth with Mitsouko to its latest iterations in the 21st century.


For the third day, I skipped over 80 years of perfumery, straight into the past decade, with a study of recent concepts, mainly “anti-perfumes”, the use of strange or ugly notes and perfumes as evocations of times or places rather than as an extension of personality… This was followed by a spotlight on three authors, Jean-Claude Ellena, Bertrand Duchaufour and Mathilde Laurent, all of whom have generously contributed their time to help me understand their creative process, their aesthetics and the structure of their compositions, as well as generous samples. Jean-Claude Ellena also graciously authorized the reproduction of his classification of aromatic materials, from his book Que Sais-je? Le Parfum, in the hand-out…


There's no way to sum up everything that happened during that course: the insights, the olfactory epiphanies, the beautiful things that people said about perfumes. In that scent-laden atmosphere, I could see eyes light up, lips moves as though someone was about to speak – but she was just formulating a thought to herself; the excited hum as scent strips were passed around and discussed; the crowding around the table were my samples were spread out when, at the end of the day, I’d allow everyone to spray themselves to their heart’s content.


The last hour was a round-up of everyone’s top five of the scents studied over those three days. Vintage Emeraude, Shocking and Mitsouko got votes; Le Parfum de Thérèse came up a winner; L’Eau Serge Lutens and Comme des Garçons Series 6 Synthetic: Soda were quoted by South-East Asian students, the first for its clean magnolia note, the other for its perky citrus fizziness. If I’d had bottles of Penhaligon’s Amaranthine for sale, I’d have moved at least half a dozen. Christophe Laudamiel and Della Chuang’s Kyoteau, an olfactory evocation of the city, won enough suffrages for me to hope it gets commercialized soon in the full-sized bottles designed by Della. Osmanthe Yunan and Vetiver Tonka from the Hermessences collection, La Treizième Heure from Cartier’s Heures de Parfum also gathered several votes.


But the real surprise came from L’Artisan Parfumeur’s cumin and civet-laden Al Oudh: the two men of the course, a Thai and a Frenchman, both said they’d get it for themselves; three young women, two Chinese and one Vietnamese, said they’d get it for their boyfriends… And there we were, thinking the Asian market was all about fruity florals! They got positively frisky about the dirty notes. Mind you, they had the right teacher… It’s all about pedagogy, isn’t it? One participant, who’d basically come along to keep her sister-in-law company, walked away saying: “You’ve completely turned round the way I think about perfume”.

I consider my mission accomplished.

Now that the pressure’s over and I’m rewinding the film, I can’t even begin to say how much I enjoyed doing this course, thanks to the active and generous way everyone engaged – and lent me a hand when I had technical glitches, such as running out of scent strips into day two… Some of them actually fanned out into the neighboring stores and stoles great wads of them; others cut them up into smaller strips, while others yet counted them out in piles of 16.


My deepest thanks to all of you: Dala, Yuanyuan, Winni, Naomi, Sultana, Kayla, Olga, Antje, Katia, Jacqui, Selina, Isabella, “Ali Baba” and Litwine. I mean it about Paris!


And a special mention for Florian Pedemanaud, whom most perfume aficionados in London have met at Les Senteurs, the city’s premier multi-brand niche shop: he is setting up as a scent stylist. Should anyone need advice on putting together a fragrance wardrobe or finding a new signature perfume, he’s the man to ask. Just email me at graindemusc at gmail dot com and I’ll give you his contact, or seek him out at the Frédéric Malle corner at Liberty’s.

I’d also like to thank the following people and companies.

For their support, advice and precious time: Mathilde Laurent, Bertrand Duchaufour, Isabelle Doyen and Céline Ellena.

For donating raw materials: Francis Thibaudeau of Robertet for the natural essences and absolutes; Angela Stavrevska of CPL Aromas UK for the synthetic materials; Julien Lévy of Osmoz.com for the Les Coulisses du Parfum coffrets.

For donating perfumes: Guerlain, Hermès, Chanel, Cartier and L’Artisan Parfumeur.

For authorizing the reproduction of a portion of his book: Jean-Claude Ellena.

Above all, I have a debt of gratitude to my favourite teacher, the perfumer and perfume historian Octavian Coifan (1000fragrances) and to Basia Szutnicka, Study Abroad Director at the London College of Fashion: she had the idea for this course and made it happen.

At the London College of Fashion, I would also like to thank Reid Aiton, Hannah Svensson McLeod and Karin Johansson for all their time and efforts! Hannah, I will return the scissors next time!


33 commentaires:

  1. Huzzah, dear Denyse! I've been waiting to hear about how the course went, and of course, it exceeds my wildest expectations. Bravissima!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Jarvis, of course there are a lot of kinks to iron out: it was the course's maiden run, and my students were angels about helping out and putting up with the little technical glitches!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Congratulations Denyse!
    It seems everybody had a very good time. I would have loved to be there. Maybe next time.
    Arwen

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Just beautiful, Denyse -- sounds like a wonderful experience for everyone involved. Now I'm wishing I'd bought a plane ticket and attended.

    But there's always next year, right? Or so I can hope.

    Maybe if there's enough demand, we can get you to fly to New York for a couple of days . . .

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Arwen, I hope they did... Maybe they'll comment and say so!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Nathan, it won't be a year before the next one, I think. And there are long-term plans to export it, though everything is still very tentative. We had to see how the first one went!

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Your course sound so fun, interesting and educational, I wish I had been there to. :) Honestly, what I miss most in my daily life is other perfume lovers, it seem so fun to have someone to share this passion and interest with.

    Best wishes, and I hope you will be able to have many other courses like this in the future.

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Congratulations Denyse! Without hesitation I will attend the next course...in New York.

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Rebella, that's exactly what many participants said: that they often felt isolated and were glad to meet fellow perfume lovers... I guess I'm lucky to have several perfume friends (who are also friends-friends) here in Paris. And lots more dropping by!

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. Hope you enjoyed teaching the course as much as we enjoyed learning with you. I've been telling my friends about our olfactory journeys - it's always interesting to observe their reaction when I talk about "gland". Look forward to seeing your new book in print soon!

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. Yuanyuan, I did enjoy it tremendously, and hearing you talk about your olfactory memories was one of the many reasons...

    RépondreSupprimer
  12. Il me semble que ce n'est pas dévaloriser ton talent que de considérer que le travail préparatoire que tu as fait auprès des parfumeurs que tu remercies a participé au succès de ce stage : c'est une des vertus de la transposition didactique. Avant de s'adresser aux "élèves", le "professeur" doit s'assurer non seulement de la solidité de ses connaissances mais de la viabilité du chemin qu'il va emprunter pour faire passer son "message". Au final le prof en apprend autant que les stagiaires !

    En tout cas, la vision d'une "Yéti chic" ainsi que son sillage m'ont fait faire un virage de 180° au sujet de Havana Vanille : quelle bonne prof tu fais !!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  13. Thierry, tout d'abord, désolée de ce post exclusivement anglophone, le temps manque! Ensuite, en effet, ce travail auprès des parfumeurs est bien le temps de recherche auquel un professeur doit se consacrer avant d'enseigner: on n'a pas la science infuse, et cette transposition permet de proposer une autre pédagogie que celle qu'aurait un parfumeur parlant de son métier (ou l'enseignant à de futurs parfumeurs), ne serait-ce que parce qu'elle permet d'aborder un éventail plus large d'écritures et de sujets.

    RépondreSupprimer
  14. Oooooh, so envious. I would so very much love to take your course. Someday, someday...

    RépondreSupprimer
  15. Amy, I hope a Stateside course can be planned at some point. Someone is trying to make it happen.

    RépondreSupprimer
  16. Denyse,
    This sounds just wonderful! I would certainly be interested in attending should your course come to NYC.
    Definitely hard to find serious perfume afficionados where I am, just like trying to find a fellow opera buff outside of the city. Few and far between...

    RépondreSupprimer
  17. OperaFan, I'm one too (I mean an opera fan). In fact, just listening to René Jacobs' production of Cosi fan Tutte (one of my 5 versions) as I type...

    RépondreSupprimer
  18. Glad to hear that the course went well. I would have been surprised to hear that it didn't - you have a gift for sharing your passion! And how lovely to think there are new perfume converts running around because of your course...

    Also glad to hear that vintage Emeraude, one of my "desert island scents," was a hit.

    RépondreSupprimer
  19. So pleased though not surprised that all went so well, Denyse! Preparing to teach and teaching are the best and most exciting modes of learning I think - so much happens that's unexpected - so many changes of mind. all best, k

    RépondreSupprimer
  20. Mals86, I wouldn't say I converted them since they came to the course... but I probably showed them a trick or two! ;-)

    RépondreSupprimer
  21. Kit, I definitely learned tons of things before and during the course: preparing was a fantastic way to order what I knew (and dig up what I didn't know).

    RépondreSupprimer
  22. Oh, Denyse, I would so have loved to attend your course, and hope one day I can! Next time, my devalued finances will allow it, I have faith!
    Much love and admiration from Buenos Aires, Argentina! Meanwhile, I will always return to your blog for your wonderful insight, information and inspiration :)
    Melina
    P.S. I am also a lone perfume lover, but try to spread the (little) knowledge I have and passion to all that surround me :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  23. Melina, thanks to the internet, perfume lovers are never alone, aren't they? I hope to see you some day!

    RépondreSupprimer
  24. Dear Denyse, merci very much for this debriefing of your atelier, which I would very much have liked to attend... apologies for the Franglais: l'emotion, sans doute, after just reading of your encounter with the Grand Serge... My first fragrant highlight of 2010 will be roaming the Paris perfume houses with a couple of like-minded (or nosed! ^_^) friends, culminating in an Atelier Prestige c/o Parfums de Nicolai. Just like Rebella, I wish there were more people I could share this scented passion with...
    All the best for this new year

    RépondreSupprimer
  25. Laurinha, perhaps some day... There will be more courses anyway. And thank God the internet gives perfume lovers an opportunity to "meet" and share their passion.

    RépondreSupprimer
  26. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

    RépondreSupprimer
  27. Its informative to know that it was delighted to have people of such varied origins since their range of olfactory references would be extremely diverse. Will certainly visit your site more often now.

    isey

    RépondreSupprimer
  28. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

    RépondreSupprimer
  29. We offers Comfort Smell,good fragrance Exaltatum is one of the best perfume in london ,Niche Perfume London

    RépondreSupprimer